If you’re looking for a good pole hedge trimmer, you’ve stumbled across the perfect resource.
Rather than confusing you with an array of options, we’ve curated 5 of the strongest models available so you can keep your garden in perfect shape the easy way.
After our rundown of the best pole hedge trimmer reviews, we’ll round out with a concise breakdown of the leading benefits of these nifty tools.
Best Pole Hedge Trimmers
Best Pole Hedge Trimmers Reviews
#1 Sun Joe SJH902E 21-Inch Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer
If you’re looking to trim tall hedges without needing to reach for a ladder, this 21-inch telescoping model from Sun Joe is the ideal weapon. Even better, it is packed with handy features.
The pole measures just shy of 8 feet and telescopes, affording you a maximum total reach of 13 feet. This allows you ample freedom of movement while the poky 4-amp motor gives you plenty of power for thicker branches approaching ¾-inch thick.
It’s not just power and speed you’ll get with the Sun Joe, however. Since the handle rotates from -90 degrees through 60 degrees, you’ll be able to chop away from pretty much any angle with complete precision.
All this performance is bundled up in a lightweight chassis, serving up superb value from a brand you can rely on. It is finished in bright green, so you’ll never misplace your trimmer again.
- Cut up to 13 feet high thanks to the telescopic pole
- 21-inch blade packs dual-action mechanism and hardened steel allows you to power through branches to ¾-inch thick
- Head swivels through multiple angles giving you outstanding precision
- Weighs just 7 ½ pounds so you can prune for extended spells without feeling the strain
- Exceptional price/performance ratio from a highly reputable brand
- The trigger can feel rather awkward to use at first
#2 Greenworks PSPH40B210 8-Inch Pole Trimmer
Cordless pole saws do not need to be underpowered. Greenworks makes this abundantly clear with the 40V lithium-ion battery up that powers this 8-incher. It offers ample force to cut through thicker branches.
While maximum cutting capacity is claimed to be 6 inches, you might start struggling when you near that limit.
The fixed cutting head polarizes opinion. Some users find this offers benefits when hooking over branches and undercutting. Others state it feels somewhat limited.
You should get somewhere around 50 cuts before needing to give this pole saw a burst of charge so consider your intended usage.
There’s a switch lock in place to prevent any accidental firing up.
For clean cuts through branches up to 4 inches and all the advantages of a cordless tool, this 40V beauty is well worth putting on your shortlist.
- The option of buying with or without the battery
- Achieve roughly 50 cuts on a full charge
- 8-foot saw with a 5-foot extension, supplying more than enough reach for most purposes
- Lightweight unit relative to the power on tap
- Compatible with the Greenworks 40v battery system
- No bar or chain oil included so make a note of this
- A little assembly is needed
- The battery is reasonably tough to pull out
#3 Greenworks 22272 20-Inch Pole Hedge Trimmer
Another Greenworks product, this time a 20-inch best pole hedge trimmer.
The nimble 40V lithium-ion battery delivers a full half-hour of juice before it needs recharging. This should be sufficient to deal with most smaller hedges in a single session.
20-inch dual-action blades offer the usual combination of minimal vibration along with enough firepower to slice through branches to 5/8-inch thick.
The shaft extension of 6 ½ feet gives you the ability to reach up to the higher points of your hedge or to deal with any overhanging shrubbery.
For a super-light and highly versatile hedge trimming solution, this is another home run from Greenworks.
- Fade-free power from 40V G-MAX battery gives you a run time of up to 30 minutes
- Maximum cutting capacity is a generous 5/8-inch
- Head pivots through 3 positions and along with the extended reach handle makes your life easier when cutting at full stretch
- 20-inch dual-action blade serves up the sharpness and power you need along with almost no vibration
- 6 ½-feet shaft extension extends your scope further without calling for other tools
- Reasonably expensive if you buy with the battery
#4 BLACK+DECKER LPP120B Pole Hedge Trimmers
If you’re looking for an extendable long reach pruning saw, the BLACK+DECKER LPP120B offers a winning combination of affordability, long battery life, and all the cutting power you need for small to medium-sized pruning projects.
Its reach is first-class. With the extension at full tilt, you’ll be able to cut up to 14 feet high, more than enough for most shrubbery.
Battery life is among the best we’ve seen with cordless pole pruning saws. If you’re working with pine branches, for example, you can expect roughly 100 cuts before you need to head to the charger.
The only real downside is a reliance on plastic components, giving rise to a few concerns about durability and lifespan.
Overall, you’ll get a great deal of brand heritage and precision engineering in a pocket-friendly and convenient package.
- Affordable price range
- Excellent grip
- Won’t bend
- Stylish designs
- A bit too much plastic diminishes overall build quality
#5 TrimmerPlus AH721 22-Inch Dual Hedge Attachment
Firstly, make certain you’ve got a string trimmer, pole saw, or power head to match up with this attachment. Under no circumstances should you buy this TrimmerPlus thinking you’ll get going straight out the box without the essential tool to accompany it.
Most major manufacturers support this attachment. If you’ve already got that kit and want a highly able attachment to make light work of hedges and bushes, the TrimmerPlus is tailor-made.
There’s serious attention to detail on these blades. Measuring up at 22 inches, the teeth are spaced ¾-inch apart, giving you efficiency and power for more demanding jobs.
The die-cast body and hardened steel blades mean your investment should keep on returning value for years to come.
For a flexible and nimble hedge attachment to bring out the very best in your tools, the TrimmerPlus hits the spot.
- Widely-spaced 22-inch blades are double-sided, so you can get more done in less time
- Case made from rugged metal; it can handle some serious punishment
- Broad compatibility with all major brands
- Blade rotates through 135 degrees, promoting outstanding maneuverability
- Highly effective for trimming taller hedges and bushes
- This is an attachment only, so you’ll need a compatible tool
- Reasonably expensive but in return, you’ll get a durable and capable tool
Advantages of Long Reach Hedge Trimmers
If you’re caught on the fence about how to get the best pole hedge trimmer, you might be asking yourself why you should bother in the first place.
Balancing on ladders when working at height is hazardous enough anyway. When you’re using a power tool, that danger increases.
- Easily reach higher hedges without needing to rely on a ladder
- Many models come with lengthy extensions giving you even greater reach
- Pivoting heads allow you to work at any angle
- Choice of power from gas and electric to cordless so buy what fits with your needs
- Often come with support straps to mitigate the extra weight and allow you to work safely for longer
- Work for extended periods without straining your arms and back or standing on tiptoes
- Slash the costs of calling in a professional gardener while enjoying the convenience of pruning any time you want
As you can see, safety and convenience are the key selling points with best pole hedge trimmers along with that all-important reach.
Think closely about the type of power that best suits your area, and you’ll find your gardening duties become wonderfully streamlined.
Conclusion – Good Pole Hedge Trimmer
We hope by now that you have a clear idea of which best pole hedge trimmer makes the most sense for the cutting jobs you have in mind.
We’ve tried to cover all the bases and deliver models appealing to varying needs and budgets.
If you already have the necessary tool to attach it to, the TrimmerPlus is a standout winner. If not, our overall favorite is the cordless 20-inch Greenworks.
That said, you might prefer one of the other options, so go with what works best for your yard.
Pole Hedge Trimmer Reviews
How to choose the best pole hedge trimmers on the market
- 1 Best Pole Hedge Trimmers Reviews
- 1.1 #1 Sun Joe SJH902E 21-Inch Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer
- 1.2 #2 Greenworks PSPH40B210 8-Inch Pole Trimmer
- 1.3 #3 Greenworks 22272 20-Inch Pole Hedge Trimmer
- 1.4 #4 BLACK+DECKER LPP120B Pole Hedge Trimmers
- 1.5 #5 TrimmerPlus AH721 22-Inch Dual Hedge Attachment
- 2 Advantages of Long Reach Hedge Trimmers