It’s the finishing touches that count in the garden. With your grass cut and edged, how about those hedges and bushes?
Are they looking neat and tidy or starting to get out of hand?
If you want to get this job done without straining yourself, there’s a vast array of hedge trimmers to help. So, which type should you choose?
Best Cordless Hedge Trimmers
- DeWALT DCHT820B
- BLACK+DECKER LHT2436
- Worx WG255.1
- MAKITA XHU02Z
- Sun Joe HJ604C
- BLACK+DECKER LHT321FF
We’re here to make your life easier with 6 of the best cordless hedge trimmers that combine convenience and firepower with a side serving of precision.
We’ll launch straight in with our reviews then we’ll round out with a concise round-up of the benefits of cord-free trimmers.
Best Cordless Hedge Trimmers in 2019
#1. DeWALT DCHT820B Hedge Trimmer
Three Year Limited Warranty
1 Year free service
90 Day Money Back GUARANTEE
Cordless – Battery-powered
The hardened steel blades of the DeWALT are 22 inches long with a cutting capacity of ¾-inch, giving you plenty of power for thicker branches along with ample reach.
Part of DeWALT’s 20V MAX system, you’ll be able to use the same powerful lithium-ion battery across more than 100 tools. This means the DCHT820B comes as-is without the battery. If you’re already invested in this system, that saves you money but if you’re buying in for the first time, factor the extra cost of the battery in before committing to purchase. There’s no charger either.
Once you’re up and running, the battery offers fade-free performance from gun to tape. There’s no degradation as the charging cycle progresses. You’ll get ample performance from the capable motor and 5.0 Ah battery. That said, this trimmer isn’t cut out for sustained and hardcore cutting duties.
The security trigger is positioned on the main trigger rather than the handle, which is a little different. It’s certainly easy to reach whatever position you’re in, but you might accidentally lock it into position from time to time.
If you’re in any element of doubt, the impressive DeWALT warranty covers you for a full 3 years. You also get a money-back guarantee in place for 3 months if you’re not entirely satisfied with your purchase. This should remove any sting from your buying decision.
For a winning combination of cutting power, cordless convenience, and brand heritage in an agile and compact unit, the DeWALT punches above its weight. It one of the best cordless hedge trimmers we’ve seen.
– or –
Read Full DeWALT Hedge Trimmer Reviews >>
- Hardened steel blades slice through thicker branches up to ¾-inch with ease
- Weighing just 7 ½ pounds, you’ll be able to trim at length without fatigue setting in
- Hooked teeth and materials minimize the need for sharpening while prolonging the lifespan
- Simple to start and stop with a quick trigger pull
- Robust 3-year warranty and 90-day money back guarantee
- Battery and charger not included
- Not a heavy-duty hedge trimmer so best for small to medium-sized projects
#2. BLACK+DECKER LHT2436
While you can pick the LHT2436 up on its own, this model comes with a 40V battery included. But first, let’s have a word about that battery.
The 40V quoted refers to the maximum voltage without workload. Regular voltage once pushed into action is 36V. This trimmer integrates seamlessly with the BLACK & DECKER family of 36V or 40V MAX tools. This allows you to cut your costs by swapping out your batteries and buying bare tools once you’ve bought into this ecosystem.
Battery life is outstanding, giving you a full 45 minutes of sustained use. There’s a handy indicator that takes the guesswork out of charging.
While you’ll get power that is similar to that of a corded model, you’ll enjoy far more mobility. Since it’s battery-powered, you’ll get less noise and no emissions so you can do your part for the neighbors and the environment.
The 24-inch blade gives you a little more scope than much of the competition, and you’ll be able to cut through branches up to ¾-inch thick. The grips are nice and sticky although the fixed handle could be improved with a little rotation.
Dual-action blades tamp down vibration while giving you more cutting power than ever before. The blades are highly rust-resistant, and the metal is pre-hardened for increased lifespan.
The proprietary Power Drive transmission means there’s little chance of the blades jamming.
This is arguably the top cordless hedge trimmer for medium duty yard work. It has the convenience of a cord-free model but the performance you’d expect from a heavy duty hedge trimmer.
- Trim up to 6000 square feet before you need to recharge the battery
- 24-inch blade gives you some precious extra reach
- Ergonomic secondary handle for more comfortable and stable operation
- Cut horizontally or vertically giving you complete freedom of movement
- Lightweight and nicely balanced despite such raw power
- No swivel feature on the rear handle
The Worx 20-inch trimmer delivers an excellent price to performance ratio while offering you a lightweight pruning solution that’s built to last.
The hardened steel blades might be a little shorter than some of the other trimmers we look at today, but they’re solid enough to smash through most regular household shrubbery without much resistance. Dual-action and a breeze to clean, the only thing lacking is a little reach.
Comfort is a crucial factor with any hedge trimmer. With great grip and the ability to cut from any angle along with a slimline 6-pound form factor, you’ll be able to work without fatigue setting in. You will also avoid any danger of the trimmer slipping from your grasp.
The drawbacks with this model are not deal-breakers but need to be mentioned.
Power could certainly be improved although you’ll still be capable of working your way through branches to 9/16-inch thick. This translates, though, into a trimmer that will struggle with more demanding cutting work. You might find the shorter blades give you some difficulty when reaching overhanging branches.
Given that the Worx is firmly priced in budget territory, this is a trimmer that’s affordable and nimble addition to your gardening kit. As a built-in bonus, you’ll be able to use the battery across the entire Worx 20V PowerShare line-up. This helps bring future costs down as you can pick up tools and interchange the battery when required.
- Get quick and clean cuts thanks to dual-action blades
- Front handle allows you to cut from all angles while additional grip increases your control without sacrificing comfort
- Batteries work across the whole range of Worx 20V Power Share products
- Deal with bulkier twigs and branches to 9/16-inches
- Aluminum blade cover is rust-proof and easy to clean, keeping maintenance to a minimum
- Not a good fit for heavier-duty cutting
- Power is slightly underwhelming
- 20-inch blades are shorter than much of the competition
#4. MAKITA XHU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 22-Inch
As with many cordless trimmers, the Makita comes as a bare tool. You’ll need to buy both a battery and charger. If you’re a first-time buyer, this hikes the price substantially. If you’re already using tools in the 18V LXT ecosystem, though, it offers superior savings since the batteries work across all tools.
While this hedge trimmer is marketed as a powerhouse, you’ll find more luck cutting new growth than woody branches. Don’t expect to undertake much more than medium-grade trimming and keep your expectations reasonable.
Once you’re up and running, using the Makita is a pleasure, and the blade gives you decent maneuverability at a full 22 inches. Rated at just 87 decibels, it’s not whisper quiet, but you’ll get far less commotion than firing up a gas-powered beast.
While battery life is a common issue with cordless tools, this trimmer turns in more than 75 minutes of work before you need to juice it up. You’ll be protected from overload, over- discharge, and overheating with a solid management system in place. It takes under an hour to get a full charge.
The cushioned motor housing brings vibration down, so it’s barely perceptible.
While it’s far from a commercial giant, for its intended purpose of trimming branches in a mid-sized garden, this is one of the best cordless hedge trimmers in its class.
- Runs even more quietly than most cordless trimmers
- Protects your battery thanks to the automatic shut-down
- Potent motor delivering 1350 SPM of cutting speed
- Hard-hitting 22-inch blade helps you work across a medium-sized garden without expending too much effort
- Expect a generous 75 minutes of run time on a single charge
- You’ll need to buy both the battery and charger separately
- Tends to struggle a little with thicker woody branches
#5. Sun Joe HJ604C Cordless Grass Shear and Strimmer
The Sun Joe proves good things can come in small packages.
The shear and trimmer offers you combined functionality in one neat appliance. You’ll get a 4-inch blade for grass shearing and a larger 6-incher for hedge trimming work. Both blades are steel and can handle heavy loads.
You should get somewhere from 45 to 60 minutes of light work done before the 7 ½-volt lithium ion unit needs a charge. With push-button start-up and all the convenience you’d expect from a cordless cutter, there’s another serious advantage with this Sun Joe.
The scaled-down dimensions and lightweight nature of this tool gives you great freedom of movement. If you’ve got any awkward spots, you’ll slip in with this cutter where bulkier tools would run into difficulty.
A few users have leveled complaints about the blade change process. We’d suggest that, like any tool, it takes a while to get used to things. Once you’ve swapped them over a few times, you shouldn’t find any real problem.
Easy to use and packing a safety switch to prevent any chance of accidentally firing up the trimmer, the only thing you’ll find hard to believe is how Sun Joe can price this versatile little multipurpose tool so keenly.
To round out, it’s fully ETA-approved and comes with a dependable 2-year limited warranty.
- Ultra-light unit at just 2 ½ pounds
- Serves double duty as a grass shear and also hedge trimmer
- Works brilliantly for getting into tight, confined spots where larger tools won’t fit
- Long-life battery with charger included so get going straight out the box
- Pair of interchangeable blades both solid and built to last
- Limited in scope
- Blade changing is slightly tricky and fiddly until you get accustomed to it
#6. BLACK+DECKER LHT321FF POWERCOMMAND Powercut Hedge Trimmer
This BLACK+DECKER comes with a slightly less capable powerpack and forms part of the 20V MAX range of tools.
Despite the slightly reduced power, dimensions are practically identical to its bigger 40V brother. Capacity is substantially diminished, however. Expect to cut somewhere in the region of 3000 square feet of shrubbery before you run out of steam.
Battery life tends to go by quickly, and you’ll be lucky to get 30 minutes of cutting from this compact hedge trimmer. We’d actually suggest 15 minutes is more realistic so make sure of your intended purpose to avoid disappointment.
The dual-action blade is precision-engineered the BLACK+DECKER way, and you’ll be able to access most overhanging shrubbery unless it’s particularly high.
If its overall performance seems a little lightweight for your requirements, we’d strongly suggest the larger 40V stablemate above.
While this model is not without its faults, these are more general deficiencies common to smaller hedge trimmers than indicative of anything particularly poorly done on BLACK+DECKER’s part. Except for that battery, of course. Lifespan is really unfit for most intense purposes.
That said, if you’ve got a smaller area to prune and you don’t need the burden or expense of a hefty hedge trimmer, this 20-volt tool makes a smart investment.
- 22-inch dual-action blade for excellent cutting range without burdening you
- Powercut function allows you to negotiate jams at the push of a button
- Vibration-free cutting of branches up to ¾-inch thick
- Rechargeable 20V lithium-ion battery
- Flexible cutter allowing you to access confined areas while providing adequate power for all light and medium cutting
- Battery run time could certainly be improved
- Not cut out for use on larger areas or heavy-duty cutting
What are the Benefits of Cordless Hedge Trimmer?
If you’re wondering whether buying a cordless hedge trimmer is really worth it, we’ve summarized the core benefits so you can see at a glance what they offer.
- Total freedom of movement with no cord to inhibit you and no trip hazard while you’re cutting
- Run extremely quietly so cut late into the evening without disturbing your neighbors
- You can often buy bare tools and swap out batteries across a range of other tools from the manufacturer
- Most cordless models offer excellent reach while still coming in a lightweight form factor
- Great deal of flexibility with cutting positions with both vertical and horizontal trimming made easy
- Environmentally-friendly choice with no harmful emissions and no use of fossil fuels
- Super-simple start-up with no priming or messing around and no specialist knowledge assumed or required
Conclusion – Cordless Hedge Trimmer
There’s no right or wrong answer to the best cordless hedge trimmer since everyone has different needs and varying yard work.
Double down on what factors hold the most importance for you.
Is it weight and maneuverability?
Look for the trimmer that combines most of what you want at a price that suits, and you’ll soon be pruning your bushes with a lot less effort than using shears and with far more precise results.
Cordless Hedge Trimmer Reviews
- DeWALT DCHT820B
- BLACK+DECKER LHT2436
- Worx WG255.1
- MAKITA XHU02Z
- Sun Joe HJ604C
- BLACK+DECKER LHT321FF
How to choose the best cordless hedge trimmers on the market
- 1 Best Cordless Hedge Trimmers in 2019
- 1.1 #1. DeWALT DCHT820B Hedge Trimmer
- 1.2 #2. BLACK+DECKER LHT2436
- 1.3 #3. Worx WG255.1 20V PowerShare 20-Inch
- 1.4 #4. MAKITA XHU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 22-Inch
- 1.5 #5. Sun Joe HJ604C Cordless Grass Shear and Strimmer
- 1.6 #6. BLACK+DECKER LHT321FF POWERCOMMAND Powercut Hedge Trimmer
- 2 What are the Benefits of Cordless Hedge Trimmer?