Do you need a hedge trimmer capable of running quietly without kicking out any emissions?
Are you looking to work in a larger space where you need a little extra power for trimming your hedge and no concerns about running out of battery?
If so, an electric hedge trimmer is the easy and obvious solution. We’ve highlighted 5 of the leading electric hedge trimmer options in a glutted market to save you time and money while streamlining your buying decision.
Now let’s dive straight in to our best electric hedge trimmers reviews, to see which model best serves your needs.
Best Electric Hedge Trimmers
Electric Hedge Trimmer 2019 Reviews
#1. BLACK+DECKER HH2455 HedgeHog Hedge Trimmer
The BLACK+DECKER HH2455 corded hedge trimmer manages to deliver powerful cutting power despite tipping the scales at just 6 ½ pounds.
The 3.3 amp inline motor of this electric hedge trimmer has gear reduction baked in to increase lifespan, and it’s beautifully balanced to give you ample hedge trimming power without compromising control or precision to get the job done fast!
The super sharp 24 inch dual action blades of these electric hedge tools are long enough to allow you to deal with taller, wider hedges without needing to overstretch while trimming. This trimmer has the capacity to cut branches and shrubs up to ¾ inch thick with these hardened steel shearing blades. You’ll get very little by way of vibration, and the HedgeHog runs quietly, too.
Weight distribution and low vibration is combined with thoughtful design to give you a hedge cutting tool that’s comforable to use and a pleasure to use. The rear handle rotates through a full 180 degrees. With five optional stops, you’ll be able to cut the hedge both vertically and horizontally.
While corded power tools are generally easy to maneuver and offer superior performance, over battery powered ones, the cord can be a nuisance and potential danger if not properly managed while trimming. Luckily, Black and Decker were nice enough to provide us with a cable-retainer to keep it neatly in place while you’re working and to ensure it doesn’t start to come unplugged mid-flow. The only complaint with the cord is that it could be slightly longer.
Another valuable safety feature is the locking switch to prevent any accidental fire-ups of these blades. This can also be locked into the on position to allow for continuous usage without keeping your hand on the trigger.
The HedgeHog is backed by the usual 2-year BLACK+DECKER warranty, giving you total peace of mind. Put simply, this is one of the best trimming machines in its class.
- A top rated hedge trimmer from a trusted brand
- Features a 24 inch blade that works well for wide and hard-to-reach hedges, shrubs and branches
- No back strain since you won’t need to overreach while you’re working
- Inline motor design delivers fast results and accuracy
- It’s comfortable to hold, has great balance and low vibration makes it easy to control
- Integrated cord-stopping system puts an end to any accidental unplugging
- Rotating rear handle with multiple stops for perfect positioning
- Relatively expensive
- For use with 120 volts only
- May start unplug while using, due to its short cord
#2. Toro 51490 22-Inch Electric Hedge Cutter
The Toro 51490 corded hedge trimmer is a flawed gem. The slimline design and 22 inch blade work well for lighter hedge pruning duties, but the 9/16 inch maximum cutting capacity will prevent you from undertaking more ambitious yard work. Bear in mind this is just over a half-inch, but we find manufacturers express this lower capacity in this way to make it seem better at a glance. We say this not to insult your intelligence but to make it clear this is far from a commercial hedge cutter.
The sharp dual system in place on this, and pretty much any corded hedge trimmer, slashes vibration to a minimum, while the auxiliary handles make it easy for you to wield the Toro with confidence while trimming your hedges. The soft-grip work handles also allow you to cut for many hours before you start to fatigue.
While you’ll get the ubiquitous cord-lock safety feature, there’s no option to lock this hedge trimmer into permanent on. Take this into account if you struggle with arthritis or find applying continuous pressure to a trigger to be taxing.
Another oversight is the static handle which makes things more awkward than they need to be.
If you can overlook the handful of flaws and you’re looking for an easy to comfortable to handle, compact, and lightweight hedge trimmer for occasional use on smaller shrubbery, the Toro is a solid choice.
- Features a potent 4 amp motor and lightweight 6 ½-pound form factor gives you great power to weight ratio
- Hardened steel blades with a dual cutting system to minimize vibration when trimming
- This hedge tool has a 3-sides support handle helps you cut safely and accurately
- You’ll be able to use this hedge trimmer with a 150-foot extension cord giving you more scope than most competing models
- Customer service is fast, first-rate while Toro dealers offer the option of in-person assistance
- Slightly more expensive than similar hedge trimmers in this class
- Non-rotating handle is a disappointment
- You can’t lock this hedge trimmer into the on position, so you’ll need to apply continuous pressure
#3. BLACK+DECKER BEHT100 Electric Hedge Trimmer
Everyone has different needs with hedge trimmers, and BLACK+DECKER’s broad range makes it easy to cater to all of them. The BEHT100 corded hedge trimmer tool is a budget model coming in at an incredibly low cost, but you won’t be stiffed on the performance front.
Weighing just 4 ½ pounds, this lightweight corded hedge trimmer is ideal if you’ve got extended pruning to take care of and you struggle with bulky tools. Corded, you won’t be menaced by battery life, so you can take it slow and steady, to cut for as long as you need. Most battery powered models need to be recharged after about 30-45 min of use.
The downside of this hedge trimmer’s compact nature is the 16-inch blade which limits your cutting scope somewhat. Think closely about your intended usage and the type of shrubbery or hedges you need to deal with to make sure this is enough before committing to purchase.
Despite that lack of reach, the 3 amp motor is more than fit for purpose, and you’ll be able to cut through shrubs and branches up to 5/8-inch thick.
The 2-year guarantee covers you against breakdown and comes matched with responsive customer care.
If you’re hunting for a superlight hedge trimmer for less ambitious pruning and you want a bargain while sticking with a highly reputable brand, the BLACK+DECKER BEHT100 is a smart bet. If you like this idea but fancy just a little more power, the BEHT200 hedge trimmer we feature below has a more powerful motor while offering the same benefits, and it’s only a few bucks more.
- Unbeatable cost to performance ratio from a brand you can trust
- 3800 SPM pace from 3 amp motor gives you surprising trimming ability for a unit so compact
- Easy to handle, low vibration powerful, lightweight design
- T-handle for easier control
- Features a 2 year guarantee against breakdown
- Corded, so it’s ideal for taking on a large task without worring about recharging it
- Sharp 16-inch blade gives you far less reach than most of the competition
#4. Greenworks 22122 22-Inch Dual-Action Electric Hedge Trimmer
Much like Worx, Greenworks also offers consistently well-engineered tools at a highly affordable price-point, and this 22-inch hedge trimmer continues that tradition.
Features a brightly-colored design, so you won’t have any problem spotting your trimmer if you set it down and get distracted. Too few manufacturers pay attention to this, and there’s little more frustrating than hunting down a hedge trimming tool that seems to blend into the yard rather than standing out like the neon green of Greenworks.
As with most of the best hedge trimmers, you’ll get dual cutting blades in hardened steel ensuring almost no vibration. The blade is built to go the distance even if you put it through some heavy punishment.
Cutting capacity of this powerful trimmer is 5/8-inch, meaning you’ll be able to comfortably deal with most hedges, shrubs, and bushes at home.n hardened steel ensuring almost no vibration. The blade is built to go the distance even if you put it through some heavy punishment.
While perhaps better known for their battery powered tools, Greenworks deliver fully with this corded version. Enjoy the same reduced environmental footprint without the worry of running out of battery while cutting your hedge. Moreover, since this tool is so lightweight, you’ll be able to keep going for hours without feeling tired.
The 4-year warranty is more than double that of its competitors and gives you total security. It shows that Greenworks stands behind this remarkably capable hedge trimmer. It is well worth trying this tool out if you have light work in mind.
- Capable 4 amp motor makes fast work of any job
- Cut your hedge from just about any angle thanks to the neatly rotating handle
- Cushioned grip prevents any risk of slippage and lets you work comfortably for prolonged periods
- Front hand guard, and integrated cord lock safety features
- Benefit from reduced vibration through the dual-action mechanism in place
- Lightweight and easy to handle, this is a great choice when needing to cut for an extended amount of time
- Some complaints about this trimmer struggling with more robust branches and bushes
- Cord retainer is fiddly and fairly ineffective
#5. BLACK+DECKER BEHT200 Electric Hedge Trimmer
The first thing we need to do with the BEHT200 tools is clear up an error in the listing.
This is marketed as capable of trimming shrubs and branches of ¾ inches whereas BLACK+DECKER recommends in the manual not attempting to slice through any wood more than 5/8-inch thick. While this is not a huge difference, don’t mistakenly buy this trimmer if you’ve got heavier-duty yard work to undertake. Shoot for a larger model to be on the safe side.
With that set aside, the BEHT200 is otherwise more than capable. You’ll get a winning combination of a lightweight trimmer offering great control while the 3½ amp motor is highly capable.
The sharp 18-inch blade on this hedge tool means you won’t be able to hack away high overhanging bushes and branches easily. The hardened steel tamps down vibration, and this trimmer is also exceedingly quiet, letting you work late without disturbing the neighbors.
The wrap-around front handle is ergonomic, but you might the guard is a little too close for comfort. The bale design and soft grips help you to cut from any angle without blistering your hands.
The BEHT200 is a wise choice of hedge trimmer if you’re looking for a maneuverable and nimble tool that will cut through most regular garden shrubbery without needing to spend a fortune.
- Updated 3 ½ amp motor lets you power your way through thicker hedges and branches up to 5/8 inches
- Wrap-around front handle design for safety
- A great choice for maneuvering in tight spaces
- This lightweight trimmer is less than 6 pounds, you can beaver away for long spells without straining yourself
- Outstanding value for such a capable trimmer
- Standard BLACK+DECKER 2-year warranty
- Can only cut hedges up to 5/8-inch thickness
- Guard positioned slightly too close to the handle
Corded vs. Cordless Hedge Trimmer
We’ve broken down all the various types of hedge trimmers for you, and there’s no right or wrong answer to what’s best. All you should be concerned with is what works best for you.
Here’s a snapshot of the main advantages and drawbacks of corded and cordless, or battery operated models so you can see at a glance which would make the best fit.
Corded Hedge Trimmers: Pros
- This tool has constant fade-free power with no chance of running out of juice mid-pruning
- No emissions whatsoever unlike gas-fuelled beasts
- You’ll get more power as a rule with corded trimmers
- You can mitigate some of the reach limitations of the power cable by using an extension cord.
Corded Hedge Trimmers: Cons
- You’ll be limited by how far away from a power outlet you can work
- There’s always the risk of tripping over the cord and, even worse, cutting through it accidentally
Cordless Hedge Trimmers: Pros
- The cord-free convenience allows you complete mobility throughout a larger garden without needing to worry about power outlets
- If you’re already invested into one of the manufacturers offering multi-tool systems, you can use the same battery across multiple applications saving yourself money
- There’s no trip hazard and no chance of cutting through a cord with a battery powered trimmer
- You’ll get no emissions and very little noise making them an eco-friendly and neighbor-friendly tool
- Very straightforward maintenance with no specialist knowledge required
Cordless Hedge Trimmers: Cons
- Cordless models tend to be less powerful than their electric counterparts
- You’ll need to pay close attention to run time and make sure you can get enough work in before needing to recharge
- If you get cut short mid-pruning, you’ll need to wait hours until your trimmer is charged up again
- Many cordless models come as bare tool, forcing you to buy the battery and charger separately
What to Look for When Buying a Good Electric Hedge Trimmer
When you’re on the trail of the best corded hedge trimmer, there are a few simple pointers you should take into account to get the right tool for the job.
First thing’s first, you should consider your yard and intended usage.
Scope of Electric Hedge Trimmer’s Work
Double down on these factors before launching into the specifics of which types of electric hedge trimmers makes the best fit.
- Size of your yard
- Type of hedges you’ll be trimming
- Dimensions and thickness of the hedges and shrubbery
- Accessibility and any tight spots or awkward areas
This will help you determine whether you need to prioritize power, portability, or a combination of both.
Electric Hedge Trimmer Power
It goes unsaid that you won’t get the same degree of power from most electric trimmers as gas-powered variants provide.
There is, however, a reasonable difference in how much performance you’ll get from model to model with corded versions.
Look at both the amperage of the motor and the cutting speed expressed in strokes per minute (SPM) as well as checking out plenty of reviews to see what other buyers have discovered about power under real operating conditions.
The amount of power you need is directly related to the elements you should think about regarding your yard and the kind of foliage you’ll be working with. There’s no magic number, so buy in line with your needs.
Electric Hedge Trimmer Blade Length
While a longer blade allows for even, consistent trimming and affords you more reach, there’s also a downside.
If you’ll be doing most of your cutting at close quarters or in restricted spaces, a longer blade can serve as a disadvantage.
For the average hedge, an 18-inch blade is enough.
If you have larger shrubs to deal with, shoot for 20 inches and above.
Electric Hedge Trimmer Blade Type
Trimmers for home use come with smaller gaps between the teeth of the blades and most are roughly the same.
Single-sided blades are safe and easy to maneuver while double-sided blades allow you to work more swiftly.
A dual-action blade mechanism means you’ll get far less vibration.
Hedge Trimmer Cutting Capacity
Check for the maximum thickness of branch the trimmer can deal with and make certain this is adequate for your requirements.
Most electric trimmers operate in the range of ½-inch to ¾-inch.
Electric Hedge Trimmer Weight and Ease of Use
Consider how much importance you place on weight and portability. This depends to a large extent on your physical capability and the type of work you’ll be doing.
Will you be pruning for extended periods?
Do you need to cut in confined spaces?
Answer these questions, and you’ll be ready to choose which specific hedge trimmer makes the most fitting addition to your arsenal.
Best Electric Hedge Trimmers 2019 [UPDATED] Reviews Conclusion
You should now have a clear idea of what to focus on when you’re tracking down the best electric hedge trimmers.
It’s tough to isolate an overall winner from this selection since everyone has different requirements.
So, we’d suggest you take the time to study our reviews, and think carefully about the type of work you’ll be executing, then opt for whichever one of these best hedge clippers models is the best choice for what aligns with those needs.
Electric hedge trimmer reviews
How to choose the best electric hedge trimmers on the market